Saturday, November 04, 2006

Liquid Creamsicle


I hate measuring. I think that's part of the reason I would make such a poor pastry chef. I know this, and I don't deny it by any means. I respect the pastry chefs that can be that patient and execute recipes down to the half teaspoon measurement. I spend every day working with savory ingredients. Hot food, hot line, I judge the quality of my food by smell, touch, taste, appearance, etc. It's a very sensual thing for me, and something about standing in front of a scale measuring and weighing ingredients just doesn't do it for me. However, it does bother me that I don't have the same ability to create desserts and other sweet dishes at the same level I do savory ones. It's one of mine, and many other chef's downfalls. To remedy my lack of ability in that department, I've been experimenting with different takes on desserts that I KNOW, things that I grew up eating and enjoying as a kid. For example, I was drinking an orange cream soda the other day, and it reminded me of the orange creamsicles I would eat when I was younger. So I thought to myself, why not make a rendition of that flavor sensation and present it in a different, exciting way? As you can see in the photo, I simply created a shot of orange cream soda that is accompanied with a small spoon of vanilla ice cream. Just drop the ice cream into the shot glass, shoot the whole thing at once, and experience the same mouth feel and flavors as you would with a traditional orange creamsicle. Or better yet, why not take a shot of cream soda with orange sherbet? I've admitted that I'm not much of a pastry chef, but you know what, I'm working on it. And although I could probably fuck up a creme brulee, I'm doing my best to find other ways of communicating those kinds of flavor sensations the only way I know how, by trial and error, whimsical ideas that pop into my head. It is important to be well rounded as a cook, becoming familiar with ALL ingredients and cooking techniques. I'm not as stubborn as I used to be. I'll take the time to measure things now, because I HAVE to in order to progress as a cook.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks really tasty. You are so creative!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Giuseppewong said...

Very Cool! The one thing I really dislike about doing desserts is that part where you always get chocolate on you!...I still want to know how I end up getting chocolate on my back???

Anyways, cool stuff man.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! Good food is ultimately about eliciting good flavours. I love the taste of Creamsicle too, and I commend you on your dish.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home