Sunday, October 29, 2006

A Night With The Butcher


It was last Wednesday evening that I got a call from my friend Trevor of Sir Loin Meat Shoppe. He was in need of an extra set of hands to butcher and fabricate some deer for an order the next day. Seeing as how I have never butchered many game animals, I jumped at the opportunity to help. I arrived at the shop around six o' clock, threw on an apron and was ready to go. I made my way to the walk in fridge where I found Luis pushing deer meat through the grinder for packaging. Next to him I saw whole deer, elk, and other game animals hanging from chains and hooks, just ready to be broken down. As a cook, I am always looking for ways to expand my knowledge of food, cooking, and anything to do with food. Although Wednesday was my day off, I am always willing to help a fellow cook in a time of need. I spent the evening packaging ground deer, learning about the various cuts of venison, and most importantly, how to butcher and fabricate an entire deer. It seems as though every day I spend outside of a kitchen is a day lost. I don't care if I'm getting paid, I just love to work with food and to be constantly learning. I learned a lot from Trevor and Luis that night, and had a great time doing it.
Sir Loin Meat Shoppe
Havana and Jewell
Aurora, CO

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your passion for food, James. It is really inspiring! I can't wait to see you when you come out here!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Giuseppewong said...

I've always thought it would be very educational to go out and work with butchers. That's one thing I wished I would know by now.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

ran across your comment on trevs myspace and had to check out the "hot pic" of my boyfriend hah. i really like this journal.. its an awesome idea and im sure its nice to look back on.. i think we should team up and get trev all computer literate and help take away his fear of using a pc!

--liz.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my son! He comes from a family of butchers going all the way back to 1728 in Kaiserslautern, Germany.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home