Thursday, October 05, 2006

Experimenting with Gougères


I spent the afternoon fooling around with a few different gougères. I began first by doing the traditional gruyere gougère, which turned out wonderful and airy and delicious. However, I couldn't help but think of all the potential that these small savory pastries have. They can be flavored in any way imaginable, or even used in sweet preparations if desired. The dough takes 5 minutes to prepare and makes for a great quick bread. I plan on experimenting more with this and hopefully creating some flavor and/or spice combinations that please me. I'm considering whipping boursin and incorporating pulverized candied pecans as a filling that I could pipe into the gougeres...perhaps with a drizzle of honey. A work in progress, I'll be sure to post more once I have them perfected. Feel free to give input if you have any ideas for flavor combinations.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

James..Very cool writings and musings, am enjoying them very much...I have always been a closet chef wanna be..I know Ming Tsai very well..he inspired me..but, I became a mother instead, and hope to explore my cooking/food desires another time. At the moment I enjoy cooking for friends and my daughters. AAM

10:39 AM  
Blogger Ulterior Epicure said...

I love the idea of filled gougeres with a drizzle of honey. I find gougeres usually very boring and sort of dry... the honey would be a thoughtful way of adding a splash of flavor (contrast) - sort of like a savory beignet...

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home